Friday, May 25, 2018

3A My Entrepreneurship Story

I have always been interested in entrepreneurs since a very young age. I think when the show "Shark Tank" became big, that is when I really began to take an interest in inventing things and/or business ideas. Every so often I will come across a problem and come up with a new way of fixing it. I write it down in my notes on my phone, but one day I hope to pursue one of these ideas. The closest I came was when I entered an entrepreneurship competition in my sophomore year of high school. My invention: the SmartPack. I would always be annoyed in school when things would happen like my phone would die with no way to charge it, or I would get wet if it rained and I forgot an umbrella. This backpack solved things like that with features like a built-in cell-phone charging port and a buit-in umbrella. Along with other interesting features that you wouldn't find in a normal backpack. This invention was a little abitious and ended up placing third at this competition, but it was a fun experience for me. It was my first real entrepreneurship experience and I hope to have more in the future...maybe even in this class. I am taking this class not only to fulfill my business minor but to also learn more about entrepreneurship. I hope to expand the ideas that I have already come up with and generate some new business ideas that I hope to pursue.

3 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think you have a great idea that maybe you should try to develop further in this class and possibly talk to the innovation hub on campus and try to see if you can get something started. I think elementary and middle school children would benefit from said "SmartPack". I wish I could easily identify problems like you and try to think of creative solutions, but I hope this class will allow me to become a person like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob, it's awesome that you've had the opportunity to invent something and to express yourself creatively. I also use the same technique of writing down whatever idea comes to mind at the moment. Usually, I'll refer to it whenever I want to feel inspired or further develop my idea, but it always feels like a nice creative outlet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jacob!
    I think it's really cool that you were exposed to entrepreneurship in a way that allowed you to channel your inner creativity! Although ambitious, I think the idea you developed in high school was a really good one that could be successfully executed with proper planning and marketing. Although I'm not a business major, I'm also taking this class because of an interest in learning about entrepreneurship and I'm looking forward to seeing what other ideas you and the rest of the members of our group come up with.

    ReplyDelete